Search my Blogs and my website

Tuesday 12 August 2014

21st June 2014. All time 25 PB!! "Croeso i Gymru!"

  As long-distance PB chasing goes, this is…..
  ….probably the ultimate in dedication!  The legendary R25/3L on the southern edge of the Brecon Beacons in S Wales. The 25 mile competition record was of 45:46 was set on this course in 2012 by Michael Hutchinson.
 It’s another slight cheat as courses go as the finish is several hundred feet lower than the start. You start in Rhigos, make your way onto the A465 then p-l-u-n-g-e into the valley of the river Neath which you follow for the next 10 miles before looping back on yourself and finishing in Glynneath. So, apart from the ski-jump at the beginning, it’s mainly flat.



  Lots of differing anecdotes about which wind direction was the quickest for this course but I had no control over that so just hoped for the best. As long as it wasn’t a screaming crosswind, it’d be quick!
  At the start of the season, I’d made a sub 21 min 10 and a sub 53 minute 25 my goals for the season but based on my really pleasing run of Open 10 mile TT times (5 sub 21 on the bounce), plus the recent slightly half-hearted 53:07 on the E2 made me adjust the goal posts slightly. Sub 53 was going to be easy. I now wanted sub 52!

  I was originally going to go on my own but Sue decided she’d like to come which was great because that meant we could make a mini holiday out of it.  So we dragged the camping gear out and set off….

Hmmm, camping. My favourite....

  We arrived at the campsite just inside the Brecon Beacons National Park late Saturday afternoon and was a lovely spot, although a bit rowdy as a couple of drunken BBQ’s were in full swing.  Sue did all the technical stuff like putting the tent up while I did the man stuff and lit the barbie. The rowdies gradually drank themselves unconscious and we were left with a magnificent view of the night sky (the area is one of those Dark Sky Reserve thingies)… and millions of midges!  They didn’t really bother me but they were tucking into Sue with relish. Chucking the odd handful of wet grass / leaves onto the fire to make smoke worked reasonably well (or so we thought) but we decided that insect repellent was definitely top of the shopping list in the morning.

  Race day and a cracking morning. Light winds and bright sunshine but slightly chilly. Unfortunately, we were both absolutely covered in bites and were itching like mad. Sue had faired much worse and looked like she’d had a severe bout of chickenpox or something. Have to get this TT out the way then straight down to the nearest Boots for anti-histamines!! But first, find the race HQ….
  The sat nav took us on an impromptu tour of several Welsh villages before we eventually gave up and leapt in behind a couple of cars with TT bikes on the roof and followed them. Sure enough, we arrived at the Rhigos Rugby Club!! HQ for the day!

  Bit disappointed warming up on the turbo – felt a bit lethargic and puny but put it down to spending hours sitting in the car and sleeping in a tent etc and tried to put any negative thoughts to the back of my mind. Besides, performance on the turbo often bears no resemblance to what happens out on the road later. Or so I hoped….
  I left Sue sewing in the car, or doing her best to without her contact lenses in – we’d forgotten the lens cleaning solution! Something else to add to the Boots shopping list!
  I arrived at the start much earlier than I liked to – either it hadn’t been quite as far as I thought or the timekeepers weren’t running to the same version of UTC as me. Must be WST (Welsh Summer Time) or something… Ah well…

  The start was directly opposite a bungalow which was having a load of renovation work done and the builders took great delight in taking the piss out of every new rider who queued at the start. Envy – that must have been it, or all those middle-aged bellies hanging over the top tubes…  Anyway, concentrate Captain Cosmic, nearly your turn…

  3 – 2 – 1 Go!

  Woo! Downhill straight away, hey, this is good! Road rough as arseholes though, watch out…
  Oh, an uphill bit… and another… I thought this course was supposed to be bloody fast… Roundabout… Ah another downhill bit… another roundabout… Left onto the dual carriageway, Here we go Trigger, woohoo!!!
  Feels really treacly today… What was the atmospheric pressure? Can’t remember… must just be me going crap… Hopefully not a headwind out. 15 out, only 10 back, not ideal.
  The road slowly starts to tip downhill and then all of a sudden you’re on the famous concrete ski-jump.  It’s not as steep as the one on the F11/10 as I can carry on pedaling most of the way down it. Goes on and on then levels out steadily but it still feels like a very steady descent for miles and miles. I’m 30 mph plus average for a loooong long time.
  At 12.5 miles, I’m on for a 49 minute ride! This is just too good to be true! Still a good 2.5 miles to the turn and the speed has been slowly bleeding off for the last few minutes – I think I’m going very slightly uphill again or the wind has picked up. I like to arrive at halfway at about a 3 or 4 out of 10 on the ‘Cook-o-meter’ but I’m probably feeling at about a 5 or 6. I think the occasion might have got to me. Still, I’m mega motivated and will have no problem hanging on today!
  I arrive at the turn at 15 miles still on for a mid-50. Climbing the sliproad, the ‘10’ man who started 3 mins behind flies past out of the saddle. I really must do something about my crap climbing skills…
  “Go on mate,” he offers. What a nice chap.

Getting my knee down on a roundabout! Not done that for a while!
  A car came past just before the mini roundabout at the top of the sliproad and went to go straight on… before turning sharp left right across me at the last minute and nearly had me off. It was a major near miss. Thing is, the stupid c**t had the cheek to wave and gesticulate madly at me as if it was my fault. I had enough time to give the roof of his car a good bang with my fist. Twat…
  Fortunately it all happened in full view of a marshall who reassuringly offered his opinion of the driver with a surreptitious ‘wanker’ sign…

  Loop over the dual carriageway then back down onto the other side. Oh dear, it felt much less slippery on the way back, only occasionally nudging the magic 30mph this time. If I could knock out a 21 minute 10 from here though, I’d just creep under 52 mins. A 51 minute 25? Fucking hell mate!

  Something definitely changed on the way back, the wind, gradient or something as it was much tougher. It was quite bizarre. I wasn’t the only one who experienced it, several riders mentioned how tough the last five miles were, even the guy who caught me for 3 mins at the turn. Thing is, I must have been doing something right as I kept him in sight, within a minute or so the whole way back, so he must have been slowed up much more than me.  If I ever ride this course again, I’ll definitely save a bit for this last part.
  With 5 or 6 miles to go, my exciting long distance PB chasing trip to Wales started to get slightly uncomfortable and unpleasant and my legs started to fill up quite badly. Thing is, I knew from my countless big gear threshold efforts on the turbo that I could continue hauling the 56 x 13 over long after I thought I needed to drop down a gear or two, so I just tried to concentrate and keep squeezing the pedals over. The 51 was still on. 28mph… Need to go faster you fat fucker, come on…….

  A roundabout and the break in rhythm caused by those bloody awful rumble strip things nearly finished me off.  Aaaarrrggghhh….
  I knew I was starting to unravel as a lorry air horn in the distance somewhere seemed to play the tune from an annoying TV advert from my childhood and I spent the next few moments trying to get it out of my head…
  “They’re tasty, tasty, very, very tasty… they’re very tasty….
  What the bloody hell was that? Crunchy Nut Cornflakes or something wasn’t it? *** I’d Google it back at the campsite….

   I don’t know about you but there’s something really special in those moments of intense ‘mindfulness’ towards the end of a long effort. There’s a Zen-like quality to it – all you can do and all you think about is being on the bike, right then and there, and keeping the pedals going over.   I don’t know if you’re actually tripping out on the endophines etc or are plunging right into one of those legendary ‘alpha’ states of consciousness but it’s a kind of euphoria.
  This time I was particularly lucid in my delirium and can pretty much remember my whole surreal train of thought.  It went a little like this:

  Bloody hell, how are we doing? FREDA… (It’s an en route flying acronym – see below)


  •   Fuel – gone!
  •   Radio – talking to myself again…. Ha ha ha….
  •   Engine – T’s & P’s… Hot, totally cooked! Pressure, no pressure, no pressure…
  •   DI – following a dual carriageway, you nob!  How’s my mental compass? Hmmm, guessing ENE, 070…
  •   Altitude – zero feet agl! Following a river… almost sea level… but going uphill slightly… defo going uphill…


  Perhaps it’s years spent flying for a living, but I realized all of a sudden that my TT’ing consists of a series of drills, time checks, flight planning, sort of….

  What could FREDA stand for here on this DC in Wales? Fuel still worked but all the others were crap. D currently would stand for ‘Drowning in Lactic Acid’ Ha… ha… ha….
  ‘Not Waving but Drowning?’ Who wrote that? I recited the first couple of lines (That’s public school for you – filling your head with useless crap to make you seem intelligent!):

Nobody heard him, the dead man,
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning

 The words seemed strangely poignant considering my current predicament and it made me smile!  Why the hell could I still remember that after all these years? I then realised that I could still remember all the prepositions that took the dative case in German…  Aus, außer, bei, mit, nach, zeit, von, zu, gegenüber ….
  I remember my German teacher Mr Beasley prancing around the classroom like a demented Teutonic chimp. “Durch, für, gegen, weider, ohne, um, entlang, bis…” What was that list? Genitive? God knows…
  Ah! Stevie Smith, the poem. Got it!
 
Come on! Pedal faster Fatty!


  FREDA… 48 Mins ticked over. 22.8 miles behind me…. Speed… 28.5mph. Arse, the 51 minute ride was gone. Arse, bugger, bollocks…

  But a huge PB was in the bag… perhaps I could ease up just a bit? I mean 52:05 or 52:30, what did it matter? I’d still failed! Hang on though, you’d come all this fucking way, slept in a bloody tent, got eaten alive by sodding mosquitoes… I’ll be buggered if I drive home thinking, “I reckon I could have ridden those last 2 miles faster….”
 Plus, the course could be short. Or my computer could be wrongly calibrated. The sliproad would be downhill, that’s worth a few seconds. A convoy of tractors going at 40mph could squeeze past and give me a tow. Anything could happen! Smash it!
  I know I say this frequently, but those last 4 minutes were probably the longest, most uncomfortable, most painful time I’ve ever spent on a bicycle. I pushed as hard as I could on the pedals but it didn’t seem to make me go any faster.
  Where was the fucking sliproad! Hey, here it is! 52 minutes ticked over. Sprint, sprint, sprint… Shit, wish I’d recce’d the finish… Wonder how close the finish line is to those traffic lights…
  T junction and I heard a loud whistle from a marshall. Hey, just like on the telly! Like it! He waved me left… Fuck me, there’s the finish line… Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggghhhhhhhhh…..

  Across the line then hard on the brakes as the traffic lights were on red.

52:15 ish.

 Well, that was about as good as I could have expected really. Slightly overcooked but a little more course knowledge would have clinched it I think. Really wishing I’d made the time to ride the course properly instead of just flying around it on Google Earth. Not too shabby though.

  Semi-conscious, I pulled over to the pavement, leant the bike against a metal railing and flopped onto the floor. There was a strange moaning noise coming out of my mouth which must have sounded like me trying to do a Jimmy Saville impersonation. God I was in agony…
  I was suddenly aware of someone standing next to me – it was an old lady pulling a shopping trolley. I’d collapsed right in front of her, blocking the path.
Having a bit of a rest?” she smiled in a lovely Welsh voice.
Yes… I’m in your way,” I panted, “I’m sorry…
Were your friends a bit too fast for you?” she offered kindly.
Yes,” I grinned, “something like that!


  A top tip for anyone hoping to try this course is to a) have your wife / girlfriend / mate pick you up near the finish or b) fit a small chainring to allow you to climb the enormous long, steep hill from Glynneath to the HQ in Rhigos! Bloody hell, it nearly killed me on a 56 x 18, in fact I thought about taking my shoes off and walking at one point but decided to man up a bit.
  As usual, back at the HQ it was hand number back, sling Trigger in the car and get out of Dodge asap. The crowd around the results board was about 20 deep anyway and I’d have needed a telescope to see my confirmed time. However, I was in there long enough to hear several comments along the lines of “it wasn’t a very fast day,” and “the wind was in the wrong direction” etc so that was quite pleasing. (Is the wind EVER in the right direction??!!). Winning time was a mere 48 something by the rider that had past me at turn and sportingly offered a spot of encouragement.

  Time confirmed later as 52:13. That’s 28.72mph. That’s faster than you need to go to beat 21 mins in a 10.
  That made me feel a bit better.
  Those 14 seconds at 28.72mph that I missed the sub 52 by is a mere 180 metres however. 180 metres too far. Just 180 poxy metres. That made me feel considerably worse and I put the calculator away….

  Time trialing is such a great individual quest - after events like this dozens of personal triumphs and disappointments surround you, like the couple of older riders who'd gone under the hour for the first time. You'd have thought they'd have won the Olympics or something by the size of their grins, it's brilliant. Then the disappointment of the bloke who'd missed doing a 49 by a few seconds etc.

  Definitely felt slightly psychologically battered after this ride though, sort of “Not sure I want to do that to myself any time soon…” type of thing. That’s not good really, especially as so much of this TT’ing lark is about where your head is. My 10 time is pretty much unbeatable ever really and this was the best chance of 2014 to smash a fast 25 PB, so where does that leave your motivation for the rest of the season?
  A 50 PB perhaps? Yeah, but form / health is definitely on one of its long season-ending slides and the next suitable fast 50 is in September! Dunno though – rest up for august, smash a couple of hard weeks training in early September and have a crack at it perhaps? Hmm, we’ll see.

  I’m feeling bloody shattered at the minute though – I’ve DNS’ed pretty much every ride I’ve entered the last few weeks. Yeah, I’ll just rest up for a while and see how it goes….


*** It was actually Kelloggs Bran Flakes!


No comments:

Post a Comment