Search my Blogs and my website

Thursday 22 May 2014

A spot of downtime....

  Things have been getting a bit odd….

   …this last couple of weeks since the VTTA PB ride.

  I’d been feeling that I was starting to go out the other side of my little wave of form for a while plus I think I had a bit of a virus just lurking in the background but managed to keep it at bay j-u-s-t long enough to knock out the quick ride on the F11/10.  I think the absolute effing hiding I gave myself that day, plus the huge mental release of finally doing the best ride of my life, just opened me right up and I succumbed to sniffles, runny nose and a sore throat.
  I took a few days off for a romantic trip to Glastonbury with Sue, then trained again on the Saturday and felt very lack-lustre, useless in fact. I tried again on Monday and had to bale out after a couple of minutes – it just wasn’t there.
  Had another few lazy days generally feeling totally knackered and lifeless then decided to try the Somerleyton 10 up the road. Thing is, I was supposed to be riding the ECCA 50 on the Saturday and basically just needed to confirm that my form was pants so that I’d feel better about DNSing!
  Yep, it was indeed truly appalling!
  Had that really tight stingy sort of feeling just riding out to the course but thought it’d spin off. It did, sort of, but as soon as I put the hammer down during the TT, it was useless.
  I’d completely lost that feeling of ‘rolling’ big gears that I’ve had all season so far – the amount of effort I felt I needed to apply felt completely wrong, you know, almost levering the tri-bars off to get any sort of speed yet having no decent heart rate. I have been feeling almost the opposite most of this season – fast despite hardly pressing on the pedals and a good high revving heart rate.  Arse!!  Right, forget it, just ease right up….
  At 6 miles I stopped trying to go tits-out and slowed to a more comfortable speed, although not exactly ‘sitting up’. Still got round in under 24 mins but I decided enough was enough. For a while at least…



  Gutted at missing the potentially quick ECCA 50 though, although the day wasn’t superfast in the end. Not too many fast 50’s left locally – may have to travel a bit for one later in the summer.

 On Sunday Sue gave me one of her magic lymph-shifting massages and (apparently) my legs were massively congested and ‘popping’.  (And I have the early signs of a varicose vein appearing – yet more middle-aged decrepitude!!).
  My legs felt better than they had done in a while at work on Monday, which is just as well seeing as I walk for a living, in fact I even felt up to a very steady mountain bike ride in the afternoon. A gentle 100 mins at what I’ve heard referred to as ‘taking your bike for a walk’ pace in the warm sunshine was just fab, in fact it’s the first bit of ‘junk miles’ I’ve done for months. Excellent! Legs still felt dodgy and puny but definitely better. Av HR 110
  I had lots more energy in general at work on Tuesday and smashed around my delivery like my old self, really enjoying the heat and sun.  Went out for another steady bike ride around the same route and felt a lot better, subjectively going much easier yet an average HR of 118 and 25 mins quicker! Definitely felt myself starting to roll the gears easier again but a way to go yet.

   Yesterday, I had a few hours to kill after work before helping out marshalling at my club’s Open 10 on the B10/3R, so I took my bike with me and went for a nice gentle spin along the length of Marriott’s Way between Norwich and Aylsham. 3 hours of really steady stuff, the longest ride I’ve done for absolutely ages (Av HR 121) and really enjoyed it. Flashes of form still there, starting to roll the big gears nicely now – I reckon I’ll be okay with another easy week or so.



  Marshalling is quite interesting as you get to see TT’ing from another viewpoint and compare kit, styles, positions, knobbly knees etc.  At the risk of sounding like ‘Mr Know-It-All-Just-Because-You’ve-Done-A-Couple-Of-Quick-Rides’, I’m always amazed at the state of some of the wreckage that arrives at the halfway point.  Riders absolutely blown to pieces, breathing out of their arse, ears and every other orifice. I’m sure that some would save chunks of time if they reevaluated their pacing strategies (or even just had one!). It's much, much faster if you ride at 95% rather than trying to ride at 101%. Or, as I frequently tell myself, “As fast as you can, but no faster.”
  Honestly, it’s true. Experiment and try it.  My best rides nearly always have positive splits – the second half much faster than the first.



  Anyway, my next goal though is to have a tilt at smashing my 25 mile PB. If the form recovers to previous levels then it shouldn’t be a problem, provided the weather is in my favour. There’s a potentially quick one on the E2/25 in the middle of June which may be a good opportunity but just to be doubly sure, I’ve entered an event on the quickest course in the country, the R25/3L in South Wales on the 22nd of June. It’s another crazy course with a long ‘gift’ downhill section like the F11/10, but who gives a f**k, a fast time is a fast time!  It’s a long trip with an early start on Sunday morning so it’ll need an overnight stay in Cardiff (already booked) and perhaps a day or two walking in the Brecon Beacons afterwards to make the journey slightly more worthwhile!

The R25/3L in South Wales - another crazy kamikaze course...

  So, as long as proper training resumes middle of next week, the build up looks like:

·         Sat 31st May – E2/10 (Entered this ages ago – not a priority now!!)

·         Weds 11th June – B10/3R (Would be nice to go sub 21 on a local course!)

·         Sat 14th June – E2/25 (Possible PB if good conditions)

·         Thurs 19th June – B10/3 (Best chance to go sub 21 on the local fast course!)

·         Sun 22nd June – PB attempt on the R25/3L. Sub 53 mins perhaps?

    That’s it.  Just need to be kind to myself and stay healthy & fresh. Not easy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment