Search my Blogs and my website

Wednesday 17 October 2012

More cycling cheapskatery!


This time, courtesy of my…..

  …..weightlifting step-son.

  It’s nice to have a compact supply of fuel with you, especially on those long, hard rides. I have to confess that I usually carry an emergency supply of Jaffa Cakes as part of my ‘anti-knock’ kit but I’m not sure how good they are for you. I’m not a big fan of trendy sports drinks, as far as I’m concerned all they do is give you very expensive wee, and energy bars / gels are a bit too expensive for my liking.

  Anyway, in the true spirit of cheapskatery, below is his recipe for DIY energy bars:

·          8 scoops of chocolate whey powder
·          4 scoops of oats
·          200g peanut butter
·          200ml milk
·          A generous dollop of honey
·          Big handful of raisins or nuts

  Mix it all up and squash the mixture into a baking tray as thick as you like. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or so.  After baking they should have a flapjack type consistency and you can just cut them to whatever size you like.  Rammed full of protein and calories – excellent!  The above mix split into 8 ‘man-sized’ bars yields nearly 30g protein and around 350 calories. You won’t need to take many out with you!!



  The most expensive ingredient is the whey powder but www.discountsupplements.co.uk do a 2kg tub fairly cheaply.

No comments:

Post a Comment