Search my Blogs and my website

Tuesday 21 August 2012

Yorkshire Velo 10 V718. 21:03, 14th. Winner 20:12


  Well, two out of three will do in the circumstances:

  1. Improve my PB
  2. Get under 21:30
  3. Do a 20: something



  Considering the amount of training & racing I’ve missed and how ropey I felt in the week leading up to it, a 40 second improvement on my PB can’t be too disappointing.  Really felt the lack of racing in the last 2-3 miles and it almost certainly cost me the sub 21 ride I was after.

  Also have to say that I was slightly disappointed by the legendary V718.  Nice course and lots and lots of shelter from the wind, but no bloody traffic!


  “It’s like being on a conveyor belt mate, the traffic is ridiculous…”

  “The traffic is nuts!  If it’s a good day, you’ll smash your PB, even if it’s bad, you’ll still beat it….”


 Starting at teatime on a Sunday afternoon probably wasn’t ideal therefore but I suppose it makes it a ‘purer’ ride of sorts.

  Without a doubt, the best thing about this course is the start. Quite a steep downhill run off the sliproad and onto the A63 – not very often you’re up to 35+mph within 100 yards of the start!  Unfortunately, it sort of hypes you up a bit too much and it’s hard to ease up back to a more sensible 28-29 mph and stick to your plan. Perhaps went slightly too hard out to the turn (the occasion got to me!) and cracked a bit at 7 or 8 miles.

  I eased up for a minute or so though and recovered enough to find a bit of a kick for the finish. I knew from the stopwatch that it was going to be soooo close to a sub 21 ride but the finishline took forever to arrive. Went like a maniac for the last mile, in fact I can’t remember ever sitting that far forward on the saddle, I’m surprised I didn’t slide onto the top tube!


  21:03.  Just 4 seconds too late. Bugger!



 The photo below taken at the turn has caused considerable amusement amongst family and friends.  I appear to be bozz-eyed with effort! 



 Ah well. Still, you have to remember that I felt so ill on the previous weds that I took myself off to bed for most of the afternoon and I’d hardly been able to train at all since the previous weekend.
  Onwards and upwards…..

No comments:

Post a Comment