Search my Blogs and my website

Monday 27 August 2012

Time to hang up the TT bike for this year.....


  Right, had enough of time trialling for one year so packing it in for 2012.

  Yo-yoing health and a lack of enthusiasm the main reasons – it feels like it’s becoming a bit of a chore to be honest.  Rode a club 10 on weds evening and felt like crap & was probably a minute down on usual pace.  Enough is enough.

  Best year since getting back on my bike in 2009 though, so very pleased.  Finished up with:

  • 10 miles – 21:03 (28.5 mph).  That was quite a result after several weeks of illness and lots of missed training.  I have no doubt that that ride in early July when I was flying would have been at least a mid 20: something.

  • 25 miles – 53:50 (27.9 mph).  Okay, okay, it was an absolute dream of a day on the E2 but as someone reminded me recently, “The bike doesn’t pedal itself though, does it?”  Fair point….

  • 50 miles – 1:54:47 (26.1 mph).  My first and only crack at a ‘50’ since getting back on my bike. Not too bad really.

  Improving any of those next season will be very pleasing but I don’t think any are unbeatable.
  I’ll definitely do a ‘100’ next year too, just as long as I’m going well enough to get well under 4 hours.

  Unfortunately, I’ve reached a point where I feel my cheapy equipment is starting to become a bit of a hindrance, so that will need addressing.  I made a promise to myself right at the start that there was no point investing in posh equipment until I was doing 21 minute 10’s and, well, I’m there at last.
  I’ve pretty much sussed health & diet problems, although form has been a bit up and down so in season training not quite right.  Think I know what the problem might be – I’ll tweak things for 2013.  Winter training was spot on though, so more of the same!
  I'd like to start next season a lot lighter - this year I was trying to lose a couple of stone throughout the spring and summer.  Not ideal really.  70kgs in March / April 2013 would be perfect (as opposed to 90 odd this year!!)

  Sigh....  Best take the doggies out for a loooong walkies then......

No comments:

Post a Comment