Search my Blogs and my website

Monday 9 April 2012

North Norfolk Wheelers 10, B10/5 again


Sheringham – Holt.  24:17, 2nd.  Winner Matt Hicks 23:28....
 
  B10/5 again on a cold, wet & windy (15kt crosswind) day!  Horrible!!

  I wouldn’t normally have even bothered but I had a few things I wanted to try out – a bit of pacing strategy and a new lower position on the bike.

Cheapy adjustable stem to let me experiment with positions


  It was so bloody cold, I didn’t bother with a ‘warm-up’, I just did a few stretches and then sat in the car drinking coffee with the heater on full blast!  A couple of minutes before I was due to start, I leapt out the car and wheeled myself up to the line.

  Anyway, my ever decreasing belly meant I was easily able to get down into my new much lower tuck and stay down.  Only things that were uncomfortable were my wrists but I suspect that was me hanging on too tight in the wind & slippery conditions.  I’ll drop the bars another cm or so for the next outing.

  Pacing was ok too.  I slowly let my HR up as I wobbled out to the turn and then picked the pace up on the way home.  I felt really strong again, despite having done six hours training in the preceding two days.  Felt myself overcook it a couple of times and backed off massively before any damage was done.  I had enough left for a mental last mile and crossed the line thinking I’d gone far too gently.  Ah well.

  Anyway, a successful experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment